Federal President Christian Wulff and Prime Minister Matthias Platzeck visit Studio Babelsberg

09.11.2010

As part of his inaugural visit to Brandenburg, Federal President Christian Wulff visited Studio Babelsberg together with the Prime Minister of Brandenburg Matthias Platzeck. In conversation with the two board members, Dr. Carl Woebcken and Christoph Fisser, they informed themselves about the film studio’s activities. The Federal President and the Prime-Minister were given explanations here, in particular, about the economic and image effects of international feature films produced in Germany. Moreover, the Federal President took a great interest in the varied history of the studios which were founded in 1912. The board members have invited the Federal President and the Prime Minister to the gala ceremony to celebrate the studio’s centenary, which is due to be held in February  2012.

The interest of the Federal President shows the cultural importance of the studios with its almost 100-year-old history and its contribution to the development of Germany as a film hub.
Carl Woebcken
CEO Studio Babelsberg

Dr. Carl Woebcken: „The visit by the Federal President is a great honour for our company. The interest of the Federal President shows the cultural importance of the studios with its almost 100-year-old history and its contribution to the development of Germany as a film hub.”

In a subsequent tour of the set workshops, Michael Düwel, managing director of the Art Department Studio Babelsberg, presented the manifold areas in which Studio Babelsberg is involved. The Federal President also struck up a conversation with trainees in the carpenter’s workshop.

A further highlight was the visit to the impressive sets for the 3D action-adventure film THE THREE MUSKETEERS (Constantin Film). Christine Rothe, the film’s line producer and executive producer, led through the sets and spoke impressively about the outlay behind such a large production.

Finally, the Federal President signed Studio Babelsberg’s guest book in front of a model of the historic glass studio. Shooting of the silent film Der Totentanz began in the glass studio on 12 February, 1912 – this was when Studio Babelsberg came into being.